Reading and Writing Instruction at the Elementary through MS levels (and any teacher interested in the foundations of language and literacy acquisition)
3 self-paced units on your own time: 8 hours
+ 90 minutes of Face-to-Face follow-up PD @ PD center
= 9.30 total hours
Please note∫ you MUST attend one of the two Face-to-Face meetings offered to receive this PD; no partial hours will be awarded. December 12 at PD Center, 4:00-5:30.
- WHAT: This PD course follows the Reading 101 course modules created by Reading Rockets.org, along with other research-based resources and tools found on their webpage.
- WHO: This professional development opportunity is intended for any teacher of literacy, primarily at the elementary and middle school levels, as well as for literacy interventionists, special education, and EL teachers. WHY/ RATIONALE:
- Provides scope and sequence as teachers of literacy review/build background of the foundations of literacy acquisition.
- Provides teachers of literacy knowledge and resources in working with students of varied levels and backgrounds (supports inclusion and equity).
- Provides resources required for implementation of UDL practices in the language arts classrooms.
- Provides consistency in definitions and a common understanding of underlying factors of literacy development.
* Upon completion, teachers will receive a certificate for completion of the WETA Reading 101 coursework.
Link additional information docs.google.com/document/d/1uNd36OtfkY0wgSQLZMLxY5_BZet5Fr1Y7n_elRPQxq8/edit
Presented by Kelly Thompson